I know there is a great deal of concern in our community about the COVID-19 coronavirus, and how businesses will survive through restrictions.
My team and I have prepared the below list of funding programs and resources for small businesses in Ontario. I have included major federal programs with an emphasis on those that have partnered with the province with a focus on the ones specific to the Niagara Region.
Alongside the business community I will continue to advocate for support for our business community, and please reach out directly to my office if you have questions or would like a phone call directly from myself.
Ontario Funding Programs
This Ontario Government guide provides information about programs supporting businesses affected by the pandemic. Currently listed open programs:
- Ontario Business Costs Rebate Program: applications are open
- Improving cash flows for Ontario businesses
A list of tax credits for businesses.
Ministry of Finance, January 7, 2022
This Ontario Government directory lists current funding programs in Ontario. From among the listed programs, the following currently listed programs may be helpful to your business:
- Aboriginal Participation Fund (Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines)
- Forest Sector Investment and Innovation Program (Ministry of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources and Forestry)
- Indigenous Youth Work Exchange Program (Ministry of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources and Forestry)
- Investment Ready: Certified Site designation (Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade)
- Ontario Junior Exploration Program (Ministry of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources and Forestry)
- Ontario Together Fund (Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade)
- Reconnect Ontario (Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries)
- Regional Development Program: Eastern Ontario Development Fund and Southwestern Ontario Development Fund (Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade)
- Site Readiness Program (Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade)
- Skills Development Fund Round 2 (Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development)
- Tourism Economic Development and Recovery Fund (Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries)
You may also wish to review the Ontario Government’s guide to Closed funding opportunities from the Ontario Government.
Ontario Government Resources
This Ontario Government guide to directs members of the public to support, information and advice for running a small business. Constituents may be particularly interested in the following guides:
Invest in Ontario has a list of incentives and programs available through the Government of Ontario and elsewhere.
Ontario’s Small Business Centres offer free consultations and several other information resources for entrepreneurs.
Agencies, Accelerators & Other Partnerships
OCI connects entrepreneurs with potential researchers, industry partners and funding information. OCI has a series of programs in partnership with the Ontario Government and Government of Canada.
Regional Innovation Centres (RIC) can provide support for new businesses such as advice, mentorship, workshops and connection to potential resources, funding and partners.
Ontario Government & Government of Canada Partnerships
A 10% refundable income tax credit for capital investments, such as “constructing, renovating and acquiring eligible commercial and industrial buildings or other assets.”
This program provides financial support to small, medium and large employers investing in workers’ skills development.
FeDDev Ontario is a Government of Canada economic development agency serving Southern Ontario.
Community Futures Development Network of Canada offices offer local economic development expertise and include small business counseling, services and resources. These not-for-profit offices across Canada are funded by FedDev Ontario.
❤️ Local St. Catharines is served by Venture Niagara.
Other Tools & Resources
This Government of Canada guide provides information about grants, loans, private and public sector financing and how to leverage personal assets. Its Business Benefits Finder allows businesses to filter information based on their attributes and needs.
This third-party directory lists sector-specific provincial and Canada-wide innovation funding opportunities.